Mom's Zucchini Bake
I love this simple dish. Even those who aren't crazy about zucchini will like it!
- Ready In:
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 slice bread
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook zucchini until tender. (On the stove, add a little water, cover and cook about 15 minutes. In the microwave, cook about 5 minutes.).
- Either on the stove or in the microwave, melt butter with onions in it.
- Pour water off zucchini.
- Combine zucchini, onions, butter, salt, pepper and pinched bread in a good-sized bowl and stir.
- Add egg and first amount of cheese and stir.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Add remaining cheese about 10 minutes before casserole is done.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
We enjoyed this as a side dish when I wanted something different then just fried zucchini. I used crackers, cause another reviewer did, and I did not know what "pinched" bread was. I followed the directions through step 7 and baked it, just leaving out the second part of step 8 since it was too late.
I love any kind of zucchini bakes like this and this one was very good too. Followed the directions for microwaving the zucchini and drained off about 1/2 cup of liquid. I also toasted the bread lightly to help ward off to much liquid in the dish after baking. As I was eating some I remembered that when my mom makes something like this she uses soda crackers. I'd think 6-8 would do fine if you wanted to try that instead of bread. Will made again, thank you. Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders* game 2007