Mom's Swiss Steak Dinner
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs beef chuck steaks, 1-inch thick, trimmed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 small new potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 (9 ounce) package green beans, frozen, fresh
- Heat oven to 425. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, leaving 1 1/2 inch overhang all around.
- Cut steaks into equal portions and place in prepared pan. Top with sliced onions and bell peppers. (I always use more onion and bell peppers, personal preference).
- Whisk together soup, tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Pour over steaks, onions and bell peppers.
- Cover pan with large sheet of heavy duty foil; roll edges tightly with overhang to seal.
- Bake at 425 for 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes; reseal with foil. Bake additional 45 minutes.
- Uncover pan; add green beans. Reseal.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes or until beans are tender and steak is cooked through.
- Stir well before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My DH took one bite and said, "Wow! This is good!" He has NEVER, EVER done that with ANY recipe I have made! Still was raving about it this morning and, since I made the entire recipe for the two of us, he is looking forward to leftovers. This was easy to prepare and you can do other things between the steps. I did use top round steak as my market didn't have chuck steak. Next time I will cook it in two 30 minute segments instead of the two 45 minute segments as the meat was a little done for our liking but still tender and tasty! That could also be because of the different cut I used, so I am not blaming the recipe. I served it with white rice but I'd like to try egg noodles next time. Definitely a keeper!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I just got married on 07/07/07!! I have lived in Fort Worth, Texas for about 7 years. I have lived in Austin, Corpus Christi and I'm originally from San Angelo, Texas. I love to cook for my family, friends and church. I love trying new recipes. I hope you enjoy the ones that I have posted. If not, please give me your input as to how to improve or any ideas that you might have.