Mom's Sweet Chili Sauce
Thick, spicy and sweet, this chili sauce is more like a chutney than the usual chili sauce. Delicious with any meat and great slathered on just about any sandwich instead of mayo or ketchup. This recipe has been a family favourite for more than 50 years.
- Ready In:
- 6 quarts ripe tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Put the tomatoes in a large non-reactive container or canning kettle. Add 2 cups of the vinegar, stir gently, cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. In the morning drain well and discard the liquid.
- In a canning kettle combine the drained tomatoes with the remaining 2 cups of vinegar, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a large square of cheesecloth tie together the cloves, allspice and broken cinnamon sticks. Add the spice bag to the tomato mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer gently until thickened, about 2-1/2 hours. Watch closely and stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Bottle in hot sterilized jars.
- Process in a hot water bath: 10 minutes for 8-ounce jars or 15 minutes for pint jars.