Mom's Old Fashion Bread Stuffing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 12 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook celery and onion in melted butter over medium heat until tender, but do not let get brown. Remove from heat.
- Stir in seasoning and lemon pepper.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add onion mixture and beaten egg.
- Drizzle with enough chicken broth to moisten; toss lightly to combine. Add a little milk for flavoring.
- Spoon stuffing into neck and body cavities of the turkey.
- If you have some leftover, place it in a buttered casserole dish. Bake covered for 30-45 minutes or until heated through. You will want to add more chicken broth so that it isn't so dry. When it cooks inside the turkey it gets very moist, but in a baking dish it gets dry.
- Recipe makes enough for a 15 pound bird.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a fifth grade teacher completely dedicated to my job. I spend most of my time correcting papers, working on lesson plans, and bettering myself as an educator. I love to share my joy of cooking and baking with my class through the use of recipe integration with math. I also bring a lot of treats to my kids. :) I am also a newly-wed just finding my feet as a cook for more than one. My husband and I love to fish and hunt, and also to eat what we catch. We always have a freezer full of venison, elk, and various fish. I replace most of the beef in recipes with ground venison. Many of my cooking skills come from my mother, who managed an upscale restaurant for a number of years. She also learned from her grandmothers, who were well know n for being fantastic chefs. My favorite recipe book is her collection in an accordion file that she has gathered since childhood. As you can tell, I LOVE Spongebob. It is the best way to wind down from a long day- you don't have to think! :) I am an avid reader, and must always have a book with me. As a teacher, most books I read are fifth grade level, although I do get to enjoy an adult book every now and then. My husband is an avid Chicago Cubs and Green Bay Packer fan, so we watch a lot of sports. I love to be outside gardening, camping, taking walks, or just playing. We LOVE to grill, and my favorite is brats boiled in beer!! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> <img src="http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/pelysma/ssb08banner_300.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">