Mom's Mustard Pickles
Now that Mom has difficulties standing for long periods of time, I have received her recipes for all the great stuff that we enjoyed growing up! This was always one of my favourites and had this as a side with any meat and potato meal that we were served.
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 5mins
- 2⁄3 cup salt
- 10 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 10 cups cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 1 small cauliflower, cut in flowerets
- 1 1⁄2 cups Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups water
- Peel and slice cucumbers, cut onions (or use pearl onions) and break cauliflower into flowerets.
- MAKE BRINE: Add salt to water. Boil and pour over vegetables. Cover loosely and set aside to cool (or overnight). Drain and add vegetables to sauce.
- SAUCE: Combine dry ingredients and stir in vinegar. Heat and boil to thicken, stirring constantly. Add vegetables and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Ladle into hot jars and seal.