Mom's Apple Crisp (Weight Watchers)
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons light stick butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 lbs golden delicious apples or 3 lbs jonathan apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Spray a shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- To make the topping, combine the 1/2 cup flour, the oats, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water and firmly press mixture to form clumps.
- To make the filling, mix the granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, the nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl. Add the apples and vanilla; mix well. Transfer to the baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the filling. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden, 55 - 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Yum! My family loved this. I prefer fruit desserts that aren't so heavy on the fat and sugar, so even though I wasn't looking for a "diet dessert," this was perfect for us. The topping was very nice. Used three pounds of beat up apples from my crisper, none of which were the varieties stated. Made sure to cut them very thinly, and used an 11x7 (2 qt) baking dish which was the perfect size. Used regular butter. Added about 20 minutes to the baking time. I'm not a nutmeg fan and almost left it out but glad I didn't. The combination of spices is very nice, and none of them are overwhelming. Wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I've been doing Weight Watchers for 2 years and have tried every apple pie/crisp variation I can find, but this one is the best so far! I served this to my whole family and no one knew it was low-calorie. The addition of the ginger is a nice touch too but it can be made without if you don't have any. I will definitely make this again and again. Thanks for sharing this!