Mom's Amish Sugar Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- colored crystal sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cookie sheets with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix shortening, sugar, and egg in a large bowl until well blended; add the flour and mix well.
- Then add the baking soda, cream of tartar, vanilla, and almond flavoring; mix well.
- Roll cookie dough in colored sugar and than form into a ball.
- Put the balls on a cookie sheet and flatten out just a little bit.
- Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
- Let them sit for a minute on the cookie sheet once done and then transfer them to a cookie rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
These were very easy to make, no refrigeration time needed was a plus and were delicious! I followed the recipe exactly (with the mistake on my part of a bit too much almond extract because it came out too fast). I think the baking time was right on, the most you could have baked them was maybe an additional minute, otherwise they would have burned. Our batch made 14 cookies and they were big (maybe that is why they were fully cooked at 8 mins.). Also they looked exactly like the picture here!! The previous review said it took much longer - maybe their oven was not fully preheated?? These were delicious and are being added to my favorites list!!! Thank you Jilb!!
Like it's said in Amish country...I'm a woots (Amish for one who pigs out eating). The almond extract made the cookie but I was concerned that there was no salt included so I added 1/2 tsp and glad I did. One other minor detail was cooking time. Eight minutes was no where near enough baking time. Still delicious and sank you wary much! Made for PAC Spring 2009.