Mommom Faiella's Italian Sausage Scallopini
The aroma of the herbs and mushrooms cooking on the stove will be very pleasant to your senses. This is almost straight out of my grandmother's recipe book. The only changes my mother made to this recipe were to substitute canned mushrooms with fresh mushrooms and to add a bit more seasonings.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb italian sweet sausage, cut into approximately 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 large onion, minced
- 1 large green peppers (I use green) or 1 large red pepper, sliced (I use green)
- 1 (10 ounce) package white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 45 ounces water (use the empty tomato sauce can to measure the water)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (to be added to mixture after it starts to boil)
- cooked rice
- Mix all of the above together except the last two ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir in it well.
- Then immediately lower the burner to a simmer with the lid on the pot slightly ajar.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally all of the way to the bottom.
- *If you didn't add enough water from the beginning, you might need to add a little more water during the cooking time - you just have to judge if it looks like it cooked down too much. It should be liquidy, but more on the thick liquid side, not watery.
- When finished cooking, serve it over the cooked rice.