Mole De Cacahuate - Peanut Mole - Mexican Peanut Sauce
- Ready In:
- 5 dried guajillo chilies (about an ounce)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 corn tortilla, cut in quarters
- 2 roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 3⁄4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups chicken broth (either homemade, canned or from bouillon cubes)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cut the dried chilies open; discard seeds stems and veins.
- Put chilies in bowl of hot water for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbs oil in skillet and cook the onions and garlic just until they start to brown.
- Transfer to blender or food processor.
- In same skillet cook the tortilla pieces until crisp and slightly browned.
- Add to blender with onion.
- Cook the tomatoes until the skins start to char a bit.
- Add to blender along with the peanuts, raisins, oregano, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Drain the chilies (discard water) and add to blender.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of the broth and add the vinegar and salt.
- Puree the mixture as much as possible.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the mixture.
- Add the remaining broth and bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- Let simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking to bottom of pan.
- If sauce gets too thick, add a bit more broth to thin to the desired consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!