Molasses Crinkles (Cookies)
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
6 dozen cookies
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (we used 1 full teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup grandma's molasses (NOT black strap or barbados molasses !!)
- granulated sugar, for sugaring tops cookie
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, pepper, and salt in a bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Beat together shortening, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer (preferably fitted with a paddle attachment) or 6 minutes with a handheld mixer.
- Add egg and molasses, beating until combined.
- Reduce speed to low, then mix in flour mixture (1 cup at a time, scrape down) until combined.
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll 1 heaping teaspoon of dough into a 1-inch ball WITH WET HANDS, then dip 1 end of the the ball in granulated sugar.
- Make more cookies in the same manner, arranging them, sugar side up, 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until undersides are golden brown, 10 - 12 minutes total.
- Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then remove from baking sheets and transfer to racks to cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!