Moist Banana Bread
My husband never like banana bread until I developed this uniquely textured version made with yogurt. These loaves freeze well: wrap in foil and freeze; thaw in foil until room temperature.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, preferably toasted
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating well.
- Beat in bananas and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir dry ingredients together; combine with first mixture.
- Stir in yogurt and nuts.
- Pour into 2 small (7 x 3") greased loaf pans or 1 large (9 x 5") greased loaf pan.
- If desired, sprinkle wheat germ over top.
- Bake 1 hour for small loaves and 80 minutes for large loaf.
- Do NOT underbake as the yogurt makes this very moist.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This didn't work out for me. After about 50 minutes at 375 the edges were getting much too brown and the bread was not cooked. I reduced the oven temperature to 360 and covered the bread with foil to try to reduce the browning. Long story short, after 70 minutes the bread was starting to smell burned and the middle still wasn't cooked. I have never had trouble like this with other banana bread recipes.