Mock Nutrigrain Bars
Wrapped individually, these easy to make cereal bars are a great breakfast-on-the-go. Their filling layer can be made using apricot, raspberry, strawberry, or any other flavor of jam that you enjoy. A recipe found on the internet.
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 12 ounces jam or 12 ounces fruit preserves
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- Combine cake mix, oatmeal, and melted margarine; cover the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan with half of this mixture and press firmly into place.
- Combine jam and water; spoon evenly over mixture in pan.
- Crumble remaining mixture evenly over jam layer and press lightly into place.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top; cool completely before cutting into bars.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I liked these very much but I added the egg as suggested. I feel it helped a great deal. Also, because we are tring to eliminate corn syrpe from our diets-I think I'm going to use a homemade preserves next time I make these. I'm sure a homemade pie filling would be lovely in these too but I didn't have any fresh fruit at the time to try that. My next plan of attack is to make my own "yellow cake mix" to have on standby for when I need it in a pinch like this. You would be surpised the unknown crap that is in our ready made convience foods. I have my own version of bisquick already! All in all, this is a great allternative to boxed cereal bars!Reply
OK, so I played around a bit. I used reduced sugar cake mix for personal preference. I also mixed up the butter/mix/oatmeal and separated about 2/3 and 1/3 I put aside. The 2/3 I added one egg and pressed into a 9x9" pan. Then I made the jam mix and heated it about 30 seconds to better mix and spread. Then I put the 1/3 oatmeal mix on top. This eliminated the crumbly issue my fellow bakers had. Might help you in the future.... :)Reply
This was GRRRR-REAT! I used cherry preserves and made exactly as directed. Great taste, though I do wish it weren't so crumbly...only because my 18-month-old can manage to make a mess with cheerios. :-) Wonderful streusel-like bar! Next, I plan on trying this with peach preserves and maybe figure out a way to get it to stay together better so I can give it to the mess on two legs without going behind him with a dust-buster. :-)Reply
see 3 more