Mock Goldfish Cheese Puffs
photo by Miss V
- Ready In:
- 2 slices American cheese (use Deluxe type, not reduced fat or fat-free)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stack the slices of cheese and cut into 16 small squares.
- Separate the pieces and place next to each other on a flat surface.
- Combine the salt, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix onto cheese.
- Toss the cheese to thoroughly season both sides of cheese.
- Arrange the cheese squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving a little space between the squares.
- Bake about 7 - 7 1/2 minutes, until well-browned and crispy.
- Cool completely (they will crisp a bit as they cool).
- Store in airtight container on countertop.
- Note: watch carefully as undercooking will yield soggy puffs and overcooking will yield burnt crisps.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are very good! They puff up, so make sure to leave lots of space inbetween them. I didn't, and mine all ran together, although I was able to cut them apart after baking. Note that you do want them to get brown, even dark brown, the browner they are, the crunchier they are, you just don't want them to get black, haha! Also, season with an easy hand, the cheese is already pretty salty. I will definitely make these again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Current (9/07) review criteria: 5: WOW! This is something with which to impress the guest! 4: We really liked this and will make it again. Instructions were easy to follow. 3: Good basic recipe but needs something to make it a 4 for us and/or there is a problem with instructions. 2: We didn't like the flavor/taste/texture and/or there is a major problem with the instructions. 1: Inedible for us.