Mocha Mud Cake
photo by ChocoChipChef
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs, fork beaten
Coffee Buttercream Icing
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup peanut butter (optional)
- Grease 9 inch (22 cm) springform pan. Line bottom and side with parchment (not waxed) paper. Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Heat on lowest heat, stirring often, until chocolate is almost melted. Do not overheat. Remove from heat. Stir until smooth.
- Add next 3 ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Add eggs. Stir well. Pour into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Bake in 325 F oven for 40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for 20-35 minutes until set. A wooden stick inserted should come out sticky, but not wet. Let stand in pan on wire rack until cooled completely. Remove from pan to serving plate.
- Coffee Buttercream Icing.: Beat butter until light and creamy. Gradually add icing sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Combine coffee granules and warm water in small cup. Add to butter mixture. Beat well. Makes 2 cups icing. Spread top and side of cake with icing. Cuts 12 wedges. Shreds of almonds looks great sprinkled on the sides. Tastes great too!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am not giving a star rating since I did not care for the texture of the cake and that could just be a personal preference and nothing to do with the recipe itself. I find it crumbly yet almost wet with moisture. The first baking time was only 25-30 minute and the second about 15. I did find the coffee is to much in the frosting and would cut back to One tablespoon each of the water and coffee. I used about 3/4 of the stated mix and the coffee was overpowering. It did mellow a bit the next day. Made for PAC Fall 2009