Mocha Brownie Pudding Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons dutch process cocoa powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups very hot brewed coffee
- whipped cream, slightly sweetened (or vanilla ice cream)
- Position oven rack in the middle of the oven; preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; breaking up any large clumps of sugar with your hands.
- Stir in the milk, butter, and vanilla with a wooden spoon just until blended; the batter will be very thick.
- Transfer to the baking dish and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Stir together the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa with a fork in a small bowl; breaking up any large clumps of sugar with your hands.
- Stir in the nibs, if using; sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter.
- Pour the hot coffee evenly over the batter--do not stir.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top layer is set and the dessert is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan; the batter will have separated into cake and pudding layers.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature in small bowls, with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!