Mmmm Muffins - Cheese, Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces firm feta cheese, chopped into smallish cubes (75 grams)
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese or 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup canola oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 7 ounces fresh spinach leaves, can use baby spinach leaves (200 grams)
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C) if using fan-forced oven or 420°F(215°C) if not using a fan-forced oven.
- Spray a 12 muffin tray with cooking oil or grease with butter (ensure thoroughly coated). Can use paper cases to line instead of spray or butter if you wish.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with a balloon whisk.
- In another mixing bowl or a large jug - whisk the eggs, milk and oil together. Stir through the chopped spinach and the sliced sun-dried tomatoes. Gentley stir in the crumbled fetta and the finely grated asiago (or parmesan) cheeses.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold together gently -until just mixed. Do not overbeat or you will end up with 'heavy' muffins.
- Spoon into the greased or paper-lined muffin pans.
- Bake approx 15 - 25 minutes, until well risen and golden. Allow the muffins to cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm or reheat later.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm glad I tried these muffins! I halved the recipe to make 6 muffins. Like another reviewer, the amount of spinach seemed impossible at first (I double checked the recipe because I thought I must have forgoten to 1/2 it!), but they turned out perfect. I used feta and parmesan cheeses, spinach from my spring garden and tomatoes that I dried last fall. They rose nicely and looked beautiful. Thank you for posting.
Jubes, these muffins are STELLAR!!! They have such a great taste with the spinach, feta and tomatoes working great together! Mmmm, indeed! :) I made half the recipe for my mum's bday breakkie and they received rave reviews. I luved the addition of the pepper (I used both actually) and the parmesan cheese as an unusual companion to feta. Really great! My muffins turned out rather soft and stayed smallish, which is due to operator error I think (used an American cup instead of an Australian one). Nonetheless they were super tasty and looked pretty. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, Jubes! It will be made again! Made and reviewed for Make My Recipe Tag Game Edn #11 May 2010.
see 9 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free