Mixed Berry Winter Jam
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
7-8 1/2 pints
- 6 cups unsweetened thawed, frozen mixed berries
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tangerine juice
- I used raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries.
- You can change the amount and type of berries you use as long as you keep the 1 to 1 ratio of fruit to sugar.
- Place thawed berries in the food processor. Using the stirring attachment instead of the blade, pulse to crush most of the fruit.
- Measure fruit and juice into an enamel or stainless steel pot and bring to a boil, stirring well. Add sugar and continue stirring to dissolve.
- Cook at a gentle boil. As mixture thickens you can crush the fruit if desired.
- Test for doneness by putting a bit on an icy cold saucer. Put the saucer back in the freezer for a minute. When you push at the side of the bit of jam and it wrinkles then it's ready.
- Remove from heat. Skim. Stir for a couple of minutes. Ladle into clean, hot, 1/2 pint jars. Leave 1/4 inch headroom Cap with canning lids and process in hjot water bath for 5 minutes boiling time.
Join The Conversation
This is a really good jam to make when you can't buy berries in season. I came up with this recipe when somebody (DH) left the door ajar on our upright freezer and the 2 kg bag of berries thawed out. I wasn’t blessed with time so I made this simple mixed berry jam with a hint of lemon and tangerine. I’ll be searching for recipes where I can include it as an ingredient. That is if my friends and family leave me any extra jars!