Mississippi Baked Ham
photo by rpgaymer
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
1 baked ham
- 8 -10 lbs hickory-smoked bone-in ham
- clove, as many as needed
- 12 ounces Coca-Cola
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in heavy syrup, drained and syrup reserved
- 1 -2 cup brown sugar
- 10 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Rinse and dry ham. Score skin of ham with a knife in a criss-crossing 1-inch diamond pattern all around. Stuff one clove in every gap where the crosses intersect.
- In a baking pan, whisk together the cola and reserved pinapple syrup. Place ham cut side down in the pan. Glaze with the cola/syrup mixture. Pat brown sugar all over the ham, then cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, for 15-20 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 135-145°F (cooking these big chunks of meat always takes me longer than the packaging says- a probe thermometer really helps here). Baste every 20 minutes or so. Halfway through the cooking time, remove foil and stick the pineapple slices onto the ham with toothpicks. Put a maraschino cherry in each pineapple slice hole, also with a toothpick. Continue baking, uncovered, and don't forget to baste.
- For a more caramelized glaze on the ham, just before it has finished cooking increase the oven temperature to 450°F Check it frequently and baste constantly to make sure it does not burn.
- Remove from oven and let sit for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great ham ..with great results. and with plenty leftover, loved the flavor. Made this though I used some cherry cola for the cola. Used 20 cloves on this too. Very easy recipe, and if there is ham on sale where you are, you might consider giving this a shot. I did buy a 7 pound ham, so I adjusted the cooking time a little.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Feel free to use my recipes.