Miss Helen's Coffee Cake
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, heaped
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- Cut stick of butter in half length-wise, then cut each half in half lengthwise, to make 4 long pieces.
- Cut 4 pieces into cubes and keep cold.
- Mix topping and set aside.
- Mix batter ingredients.
- Spread stiff batter into buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Push butter cubes into batter.
- Pour topping evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until inserted knife comes out clean.
Join The Conversation
An interesting method that I have not come across before with inserting cubes of butter into the batter. Definitely a cake that needs to be eaten on the day it is made as it dries out somewhat the next day. The batter is delicious however, if making again I would swap the flour for sugar in the topping as I found the flour rather an odd texture / taste for the top of the cake. Made for the Aussie / Kiwi Swap July 2013