Mini Eggplant Crust Pizzas
Using eggplant as the crust is a healthy way to get your veggie and pizza in.
- Ready In:
- 1 eggplant, - 3 inches in diameter peeled and cut into 4 half-inch thick slices
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant with the oil and season with the salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until browned and almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of pasta sauce on each eggplant slice. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used this recipe as a base. I added fresh garlic to the sauce, used wet mozzarella, cooked mushrooms, a little spinach, cooked hot sausage, red onion, black olives and fresh basil on top. And a drizzle of olive oil. Kind of like a loaded slice of pizza. It was pretty darn good. What I liked best was the mushrooms and olives. Could make a good appetizer if you did one slice per person before main course.Reply
This is an easy recipe to modify. I just love the eggplant idea!!! For my pizza, I added salt and pepper to taste (mine), which was generous. I crushed some fresh garlic and stirred it in with the sauce, along with a tsp or so of hot chili flakes. I shredded herbed cheddar and gouda - just enough to cover the eggplant slices. Finally, I added some chopped fresh pepper (whatever kind you have in the frig), chopped onion and sliced, aging mushrooms & plopped them on top of the sauce. I forgot to add some fresh basil that was in reach on my windowsill. Silly me. But this one's a keepuh!Reply
see 11 more