My mother-in-law made the best biscuits in the world. I tried to make them like hers but failed. I tried many recipes and this is the one I came up with about 30 years ago. It is as close to hers as I can get. Even my husband says they are like hers.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Put the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Cut in with a pastry blended the shorening till it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk all at once and stir only until the dough follows the fork around the bowl.
- Turn out lightly on floured surface and gently knead to pull together about 1/2 minute.
- Pat or roll 1/2" thick; cut with biscuit cutter.
- Bake on ungreased sheet at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I am so delighted to find this recipe! I made this for "Zaar Challenge: Name Game" - I chose this recipe in memory of my dear Grandmother, Mimi. Her biscuits tasted JUST LIKE THESE and I have never been able to replicate hers until now! Fantastic and easy recipe, which I will make again and again. (-: Thanks for posting! Sorry...I can't find my camera or I would share photos...maybe the next batch. This one won't last long. (-;Reply