Millet or Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 cup cooked millet (, follow instructions on packet) or 1 cup cooked quinoa (, follow instructions on packet)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chives, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- paprika (optional for garnish)
- Slice off a sliver on the bottom of each squash half so they can sit flat.
- Place squash, cut side down in an oven proof dish pour in about 1/2 inch of water, cover with foil and steam in a 375f oven until tender, turn over after 30 minutes and test for tenderness (it will take approximately 45 min total or less depending on size of the squash).
- Combine filling ingredient s and spoon in enough to have a rounded top on each squash.
- Put back in the baking dish with the water, stuffed side up.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in 350F oven for apprx 30 minutes, uncover& bake a further 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
On January 10 2010 I will celebrate 9 years of Life with Zaar. I can't imagine being without it! It has become part of my daily routine. I feel very privileged to be one of the hosts on the Photo Forum. Taking photos of my culinary efforts is a full time hobby and I love it. My friends all know what to expect when they come to dinner "Are you finished taking pictures?" or "Did you get a photo of so & so?" I never let them wait too long and the food is NEVER cold! I now have over 6000 photos on Zaar - some fairly good and some definitely not so good. I am happy to say that practice does help. My roots are in Vancouver BC Canada - a very beautiful city that holds many wonderful memories for me. In 1990, I decided that for my retirement years I may want to settle in a smaller community and found a slice of heaven in the North Okanagan B.C. I love living here but every once in a while I miss the bright city lights, the Broadway shows and some of the small wonderful ethnic restaurants that Vancouver abounds in. That is easily resolved. I just take a trip to the coast, visit with friends for a weekend see a show and feast on Dim Sum or other specialty foods. I am getting a bit long in the tooth but was a very adventurous person. I have river rafted Hell's Gate on the Fraser river, been up in a glider over Hawaii (no not a Hang Glider!), gone hot air ballooning in the Napa Valley & the Fraser Valley, driven dune buggies on the dunes in Oregon, Para sailing in Mexico and tried many other adventurous, challenging, fun things. I have yet to try bungee jumping or sky diving. I may do them yet. I love to travel and experience other cultures. Mexco has been a favorite haunt. I have visited that lovely country many many times. Australia is another favorite as is England! In the past 16 months I have taken off 61 pounds and feel wonderful. I am off all medications and all systems are GO! In years I may be 79 but in spirit I am still in my forties. We are only as old as we allow ourselves to feel. Always think positive. Do something a bit challenging every day & always do something silly every day. Be a kid again! Laugh every day - it is internal jogging. Here are a few of my photos <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowFullscreen="true" src="http://w615.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/Bergylicious/ABM slideshow/d95d7a18.pbw" height="360" width="480">