Mile High Meringue
photo by CHILI SPICE
- Ready In:
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, lemon juice and water.
- Bring to a slow boil over medium heat and stir until clear and thick.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add cooled cornstarch mixture, beating until mixture thickens.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon the prepared meringue over your favorite pie and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I came to this site in March of 2004. It was then called Recipezaar. This site was the first on-line site that I ever joined. I first popped in 2003 while searching for a Peach Cobbler Recipe. In March of 2004, DH was having shoulder surgery and I was looking for a Split Pea Soup. Once again I found myself on Zaar as it came to be called. Over the years I hung out and learned from some of the best home cooks in the country, I posted over 700 recipes on the site, reviewed over 3500 recipes and posted over 3000 food photos. Over the next 10 years the site made many changes and in 2010 it was sold to to Food Network and became Food.com. Until last year we played games, talked and shared with one another. As a result of the community and the relationships I built I got to meet some wonderful people from all over the country. I also have a great number of friends that I have never meet face to face. Some of us still hang out at various places across the net. Zaar was more than a cooking community. It was an internet community of friendship. Life is an adventure ever changing.