Micronesian Coconut Chicken Curry
The combination of curry, coconut milk, ginger, garlic and all the vegetables was both sweet and spicy in the best imaginable way. The country's people are descended from the indigenous people, Melanesians, Filipino and Polynesian ancestors. As such, cuisine in this country reflects Spanish, Malay and Chinese cultures. Posted for ZWT7. Found in http://whatscookinginyourworld.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-111-micronesia-coconut-chicken.html
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chicken, cut to pieces (I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 -3 potatoes, quartered
- 2 -3 carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1 big red bell pepper, cut into 1x1 cubes
- 1 big green bell pepper, cut into 1x1 cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk (I used light and added a little extra)
- 2 -3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional) or 1 teaspoon minced chili (optional)
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, fry the cut chicken until light brown. Next, fry potatoes and carrots, then set aside.
- In a sauce pan, saute garlic, onions and ginger in cooking oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, coconut milk, curry powder and chili powder. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, red and green bell peppers and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used 3 large chicken breast pieces, which I think would have weighed more than 1 lb, 3 large potatoes that I cut into about 2cm chunks, and about 600 mls of coconut milk. This recipe took longer to cook than I expected, but it was worth the wait. For US cooks, the chilli powder used in this recipe is not blended Mexican style chili powder, but the ground Asian style chilli powder. I pretty much think this would also be a good vegetarian curry by omitting the chicken and adding in extra vegetables. Reviewed for March 2013 Recipe Swap in the Aus/NZ forum. Photo also to be posted1Reply
This had mixed reviews at our house. DH loved it, for me it was so, so. I made mostly as written, I cut down to one pepper as DH doesn't love them and reduced the curry so it wouldn't be so hot. I found it to be a bit one note flavorwise, and finally added a little cilantro for some nuance. We both enjoyed how creamy it was - I did use and extra 1/2 can of coconut milk as mentioned in the note. It took much longer to cook than I expected, I ended up just putting everything together and just letting it simmer until the potatoes were done, which took 15 -20 minutes after frying. Made for PRMRTReply