Michael Symon's Pizza Roll
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From The Chew. Michael made his own tomato/pizza sauce. I also posted this recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/michael-symons-homemade-pizza-sauce-472581 Prep time does not include rest/rise time. Posting for safe keeping.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
FOR THE DOUGH
- 10 cups pizza flour
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups warm water
- oil, for the bowl
FOR THE PIZZA ROLLS
- tomato sauce
- 4 cups fresh mozzarella cheese (Grated)
- 5 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 1⁄2 sliced pepperoni
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- chili, flake (to garnish)
- FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH: In the bowl of your mixer, bloom the yeast in the water by mixing it in, breaking up any lumps, then letting it sit until it becomes slightly foamy and the water is cloudy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt, then add to the bloomed yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment for your mixer, mix on medium speed for 11 minutes. The dough should come together as one mass and begin climbing the hook.
- After the dough has been mixed, turn it out into a lightly oiled mixing bowl, and let it proof until it is doubled in size. This should take a few hours, depending on how warm the air is. You should also have this bowl covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap during this process so it doesn't dry out.
- After the dough has risen, portion it into 7-8, 9 oz. balls. Place the portioned dough on a sheet tray with a piece of parchment paper that has been lightly oiled. Cover the sheet tray really well with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The dough will be rested and ready to use the next day.
- FOR THE PIZZA ROLLS: On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of the pizza dough into a 10x11” rectangle.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of sauce over the entire surface, leaving about an inch border.
- Spread out about ½ cup of the grated mozzarella over the sauce and season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of parmesan over the top of this. Next start layering the pepperoni on top, 16- 20 slices, then place 5-6 whole basil leaves in a horizontal line in the center of the pizza. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the whole pizza.
- Working with the side closest to you, roll the pizza up, pinching the seam, and then tuck each side under.
- Place on a lightly oiled parchment lined sheet tray while you assemble the rest. Drizzle some olive oil on top of the pizza rolls, then crack some pepper on top and sprinkle a little bit of chili flakes and parmesan over the top. Makes 3 slits in the top of each roll.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is very golden brown, making sure the dough in the center is not raw. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION