Mexican Unstuffed Bell Peppers
photo by alvinakatz
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 4 bell peppers, I use a combo of green bell & poblano
- 1 lb cooked ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ground black pepper
- jalapeno pepper, minced, to taste (optional)
- 2 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese (or a combination) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (or a combination)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute onion & garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
- Boil rice in salted water until just soft. Drain.
- Halve peppers & remove seeds. Place in 9x13" baking dish, insides up.
- In a large bowl, combine well the cooked ground beef (or defrosted soy crumbles), sauteed onions & garlic, cooked rice, rinsed & drained black beans, undrained can of diced tomatoes, oregano, salt, cumin, pepper & jalapenos, if using.
- Pour 'filling' mixture over peppers, top with cheese & bake until hot & bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this using the veggie crumbles and we both liked it. I omited the garlic, as we don't eat it, and used a mix of mild types of peppers. Since they were all sorts of shapes, I cut them into strips. I only used 15 oz of beans, as that's what size my can was. It seemed like a proper amount. I too used slightly less rice. I liked this idea of the baked Mexican mix and will use this concept again.