Mexican-Style Breakfast Sandwich
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup canned black beans
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons coriander
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon canned adobo sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- 2 slices crisp cooked bacon
- 2 -4 tomatoes, slices
- Bring a medium pot of water and vinegar to a simmer (vinegar helps the eggs to set). Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, use a fork to coarsely mash the beans with lime juice, cumin and salt. Stir in half the coriander. In a small bowl, stir peanut butter with mayonnaise and adobo peppers.
- Crack one egg into a small ramekin or bowl. Slide egg into simmering water. Repeat with the second egg. Simmer for 3 minutes. While eggs are cooking, split and toast English muffins. Remove eggs, one at a time, using a slotted spoon. Pat dry with paper towel and set on a plate.
- Spread both sides of English muffins with peanut butter mixture. Top base with bacon if using, then tomato slices, dollops of black bean mash, egg and coriander. Finish with tops of English muffins to form 2 sandwiches.
- Tip: Swap out the poached egg for a fried or scrambled egg, if preferred.
- Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!