Mexican Red Quinoa Bowls
photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 a red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn (canned or frozen is fine)
- 2⁄3 cup canned black beans (rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup water (optional)
- 1 green onion (to garnish)
- 8 sliced black olives (to garnish)
- 4 lime wedges (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic, red pepper, and green onion and cook until the pepper softens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, beans, taco seasoning, oregano, cumin and salsa.
- Add water to thin it out if it is too thick/sticky (this depends on if you use a runny salsa or a thick and chunky one).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes more to warm up the additional ingredients.
- Serve hot in a bowl, topped with black olives, green onion and a lime wedge.
- Make sure you tell everyone to squeeze the lime over the quinoa as this really finishes off the dish and boosts the flavors.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was very good. I doubled the recipe with the intention of making and freezing single-serve quinoa bowls. I like the flexibility to add what I like to the recipe. All I had was white quinoa, and I did add a touch of cilantro and cayenne, but otherwise followed the recipe. Definitely add the lime juice—it is the perfect finish. Thanks for a great keeper recipe.