Mexican Red Almond Dipping Sauce (Vegan)
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (I use1/2 tsp liquid-y chopped garlic)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile (I used red pepper flakes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used cayenne)
- Put the almonds in a food processor and pulverize until finely ground.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Stir in all the other ingredients except the ground almonds. (I found it easier to turn the heat off first, then add the tomato sauce followed by everything else, then put the heat back on.).
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 1 minute stirring constantly;.
- stir in almonds.
- Serve hot with some corn chips and/or arepas, and enjoy!. Makes about 1 3/4 cups of sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Very tasty! Was surprised at how thick it was. Very flavorful and not hot at all. Made as written and served with Recipe #395640. DH who does not like salsa type dips liked this one. I was still remembering this mornings breakfast Recipe #263594 and thought this sauce would be great with the corn tortillas and cheese. Thanks so much for the post.