Mexican Drinking Chocolate
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 lbs dark chocolate, finely chopped (61-66% cacao)
- 2 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 cups milk
- Put chocolate in a large bowl.
- Combine cream, vanilla beans (seeds and pods), cinnamon and chile powder in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat. Press vanilla pods against sides of pan to extract any remaining seeds and cream; discard pods.
- Pour cream over chocolate and stir until melted. Add corn syrup and almond extract; stir until smooth.
- Package in very clean 1 cup jars. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- To serve, combine 1/4 c ganache (use a heated spoon to scrape ganache out of jar) with 1/2 c hot milk and stir until smooth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!