Mexican Crock-Pot Black Beans
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A black bean variation of recipe #234919. You can make this vegetarian by using all water. The best part is that it's really easy and made in the crockpot so you don't have to watch it!
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water (or 9 cups an equivalent amount of half water and half broth)
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION