Mexican Chocolate Macaroons
photo by Nif_H
- Ready In:
3 dozen cookes
- 1 (8 ounce) package semisweet baking chocolate, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole almonds
- 1⁄2 cup whole almond
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease baking sheets; set aside.
- Place 5 squares chocolate in food processor; process until coarsely chopped. Add 1 3/4 cups almonds and sugar; process using on/off pulsing action until mixture is finely ground. Add cinnamon, vanilla and egg whites; process just until mixture forms moist dough.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls (dough will be sticky). Place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Press 1 almond on top of each cookie.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or just until set. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove cookies from baking sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Heat remaining 3 squares chocolate in small saucepan over very low heat until melted. Spoon chocolate into small resealable plastic food storage bag. Cut small corner off bottom of bag with scissors. Drizzle chocolate over cookies.
- For long-term storage, allow cookies to stand until chocolate drizzle has hardened. Store in airtight containers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow, these are good and I believe that they are gluten free! They came together really easily. I used a cookie dough scoop so they were larger and I got 20 out of the batch. Also, I just drizzled the melted chocolate on instead of using a baggie. This would be a great "go to" recipe when you need to make something quickly. Made for Holiday tag game. Thanks Nancy's Pantry!! :)