Mexican Bulgur Salad With Citrus-Jalapeno Vinaigrette
- Ready In:
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 3⁄4 cup jalapeno jack cheese, diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons jalapenos, seeded & minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine bulgur and boiling water in a large bowl, stir well. Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add zucchini to black beans; stir gently.
- Combine orange juice and remaining ingredients, stir well with a whisk.
- Pour dressing over bulgur mixture and toss gently.
- Serve and room temperature or chilled.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was looking for something salad-y to do with bulgur other than tabbouleh, and this *so* hit the spot! I toasted some cumin seed and then crushed it rather than using ground cumin -- definitely the right move. And, realizing how much liquid bulgur can absorb, I went with more like 1/3 cup of both the lime and orange juice, which I think was a better option. All four of us who ate it (and there were left-overs for tomorrow) liked it a lot, so I'm certainly putting it in the rotation. Love those citrus notes!
I think this is a delicious wheat salad. I used whole wheat berries cooked 'til tender instead of bulgar. I also roasted the ground cumin in a dry skillet for a few seconds (until I could smell it). Think it adds a little to the flavor. I will do as another reviewer suggested and double the cumin next time. I also added a bit of finely minced garlic and some chili powder. I think next time I will up the jalapeno too. Sort of wanted to add some red wine vinegar, but didn't - maybe next time. All in all, a refreshing salad. Kinda reminded me of a salsa.