Mexi-Thai Chicken Casserole
photo by rpgaymer
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 5 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (or to taste add in another tablespoon for lots of heat!)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
- LIGHTLY coat the chicken legs and thighs in the flour (shake off any excess flour, the chicken should only be very lightly coated!) brown in hot oil on both sides (about 8 minutes per side) transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add in onion and garlic; saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in coriander, cumin, ginger, chili sauce, soy sauce and peanut butter; stir for 1 minute.
- Add in coconut milk; stir to blend and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the casserole.
- Cover with foil and cook for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Just before serving add in the grated lime zest.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a neat fusion dish! I did change this around a bit though, and turned the dish into a curry. I used diced chicken breast, and added green beans to make it more of a complete meal. I first browned the chicken, removed them, then in the same saucepan I simmered the coconut milk and sauce ingredients for for about 20 minutes. I then threw in the chicken and green beans and cooked until done. This turned out to be a great curry, not unlike a Thai mole sauce! [Made & Reviewed for BEST OF 2012]
This recipe gets 5 stars from 5 diners = 25 stars! We are HUGE fans of Thai cuisine. This is very similar in taste to chicken satay. We really enjoyed the flavors. I followed the recipe to a T, I used boneless thighs and breasts, next time I will use all all breasts. At serving I topped with sliced green scallions. I think chopped cilantro would put this over the top! This was EZ and very tasty. Thanks Kitten!
Oh wow! This was so good. I was looking for a way to use up some coconut milk from a different recipe and I am so glad I found this one. I used a couple of large chicken breasts, and cooked everything in the enameled cast iron saucepan that I made the sauce in. Easy, delicious and addictive. I'll definitely make this again.
see 4 more reviews