Meng Cheese Spread
photo by Tona C.
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces cubed American cheese (not Velveeta)
- 16 ounces cubed Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened to room temp
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup pecans, chopped fine
- Blend the cheeses together in food processor until they are smooth in consistency and become one color. While blending, add 4 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce. Add the 4 remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Divide cheese mixture into 3 parts and place into 3 small deli-type storage containers. Seal the lids of the air-tight containers and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator after chilling and press the cheese mixture firmly into the container and out to the edges with a small spatula.
- Sprinkle each container liberally with chili powder making certain that the the cheese spread is completely covered.
- Seal the containers again and place in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Serve as a cheese spread with you favorite crackers.
- Add an additional 1/4 teaspoon each: red pepper; garlic powder; & paprika.
- Add an additional 1/2 teaspoon each: red pepper; garlic powder; & paprika.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am so happy to find the cheese log my mother made every Christmas. Everyone loved this and I was never quite certain of the ingredients. After making this I knew I had found them. Don't know how my mother came to have this recipe. I grew up on the Kansas side of Kansas City, Missouri..maybe she knew someone from Mexico!
originally from Mexico we have used this cheese recipe for years and yes the butchers name was "Meng Moore". I was glad to find this when I googled it. My suggestion to anyone who likes a spreadleable cheese is to take the time and make this. We add crushed nuts to this recipe and use Ritz crackers. Its awesome