Memo's Molasses Cookies
photo by puppitypup
- Ready In:
- Melt shortening, cool. Add sugar, molasses and egg; beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients, add to first mixture and mix well.
- Chill thoroughly (for at least a few hours, we chill overnight).
- Form into 1" balls, roll in granulated sugar and place on greased cookie sheet 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Cookies should be light, pillowy and soft, not dark and crispy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are my favorite cookies EVER! I have made them for years and people never believe that I made then because they are so round. I was surprised at a church picnic how the kids loved them. I would have thought they would hate them. I made them for a cookie exchange at my church and my pastors wife made the same ones. When I went to try hers, she said I wasn't allowed because mine were better. I didn't care if mine were better or not, I just wanted to try hers because she is a fabulous baker and cook. I would recommend this recipe to anyone.
This is the exact same recipe that used to be on the back of the Brer Rabbit Molasses bottle. I had that recipe memorized when I was a kid in 4-H. First year 4-H I entered these cookies as my project. Went to State Fair where I got a blue ribbon. Down through the family several nieces & nephews have also competed in 4-H foods. Naturally this was the recipe they used -- always with excellent results. Also entered these cookies in open class at the fair as an adult -- always with good results. THIS RECIPE IS A KEEPER!!!