Meme"s Vegetable Soup from Virginia Willis
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 ham bone
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 strip thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄4 lb okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- Put 6 cups water, ham bone, thyme, and bay leaves in large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, puree, lima beans, onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 30 minutes, until beans are just tender.
- Then add remaining vegetables. Cook 30 minutes more till vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and thyme. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with biscuits or cornbread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!