photo by mynanasapron
- Ready In:
- 1 small head of cabbage, about 2 lbs chopped into wedges
- 4 tablespoons of plant butter or 4 tablespoons oil, of your choice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup broth, of your choice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Slice cabbage in 4-8 wedges keeping root intact.
- In a oven proof skillet, turn on the burner to medium high and melt butter or add oil.
- Add chili flakes to oil.
- Add onions and saute for about 4 minutes add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add thyme and mustard.
- Add cabbage wedges making sure that sides are snuggled in the pan touching the metal.
- Saute for 4-6 minutes undisturbed and then flip to the other side and do the same.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove cabbage and stir in the wine and chicken broth.
- Bring to simmer and add back in the cabbage.
- Put pan in 350 oven for 60 minutes checking cabbage with a fork to see if the fork goes in easily to make sure they are done. ( very soft) Turning halfway through or basting sauce over top. (I went 60 minutes on mine).
- Drizzle with vinegar at the end when serving (optional).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have to cook gluten free and dairy free. At 67 I started my own youtube channel "My Nana's Apron" to try to help people with how to cook gluten free and dairy free. I love all foods and cooking is my life. I try to post recipes from different cuisines and I hope with my lessons, people will be able to convert recipes to gluten free and dairy free.