From the Reata restaurant, Fort Worth, TX. This drink was developed to complement the summertime rooftop crawfish boils. The secret of getting the most flavor from your fruit is in the muddling, which means you firmly crush the watermelon with a long spoon.
- Ready In:
- 2 (2 inch) cubes watermelon
- 1 1⁄2 ounces tequila
- 1⁄2 ounce tuaca liqueur
- 2 ounces prepared sweet-and-sour mix (recipe follows)
- sugar, to coat rim of glass
- ice cube
- watermelon, wedge (to garnish)
- Combine all ingredients in a drink shaker.
- Muddle the watermelon in the bottom of the shaker, and shake gently twice.
- Rim a glass with the sugar and add the ice cubes.
- Pour over ice and garnish with the watermelon wedge.
- Reata Sweet & Sour Mix.
- Makes 4 cups.
- 3 cups sugar.
- 4 cups water.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 1 1/2 cups lime juice, preferablly fresh squeezed.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat, add the lime juice and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- When cool, remove the cinnamon stick.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.