Melomakarona (Greek Honey Cookies)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 3⁄4 cups pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups greek amber honey
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (to garnish)
- COOKIES ~.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together first 4 ingredients. Sift flour, baking powder, cloves, and baking soda 3 times.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the oil mixture and knead gently.
- Pinch off 2 1/2 tablespoons portions of dough and form into little flat oblongs (football shapes). Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- SYRUP ~.
- Boil honey, sugar, water, and cinnamon for 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over hot melomakarona cookies.
- Allow to soak for 15 minutes, take them out of the syrup and place on large plate.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!