Megaddara (Lentil Lebanese Dish)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This dish is perfect for the poor, but loved by the rich as well.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1⁄3 cup rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 -7 cups cold water or 6 -7 cups broth
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Wash lentils and rice.
- In a pan, saute onion in oil until it is a golden brown.
- Add the lentils, rice, salt, butter, onion, soup, and water.
- Bring to a boil and then turn to low heat and simmer for 1-2 hours, making sure to add more water as it absorbs.
- Lentils will be soft when ready (same consistency as refried beans).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I decided to make this after seeing the one star review .. This is pretty good but after tasting it after 45 mins I thought it was a bit bland, and I knew my husband would think so too, so I added 2t garam masala and a little chili powder and cumin .. I loved it! I realize I did change the recipe drastically, but the four-star rating is for the original recipe and not my version .. The lentils were mushy but wondeerfull with some bread .. Thanks!!Reply
Sounds nice but this is not authentic Lebanese. 1st. This is a lenten dish where butter has no place. 2nd. Simmering lentils with rice for 1-2 hours will end up in a mash. 3rd. Broth and onion soup mix will put the final touches to this dishe's ruin. Sorry, but this is a traditional Lebanese recipe that has suffered Chinese Whispers!2Reply