Old-fashioned Meat Loaf- A.K.A "Basic" Meatloaf
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all meat loaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish.
- Shape into a loaf.
- Topping: Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Before getting on with my review, I'm pleased to be the first one to make this recipe.:)This was made on 1/20/11 for mine and my SO's dinner.Since I like leftover meatloaf the recipe was doubled.And a few changes were made they are as follows, for the tomatoes I used a 14.5 ounce can of tomatoes that had onions and garlic added.I also added a couple of shakes of garlic powder.My SO doesn't care for peppers, so they were omitted.I don't care for raw onions in my meatloaf,so they were cooked in a bit of margarine then added. To have the meatloaf cook in the allotted time, two seperate loaves were made and placed in a 9x 13 inch pan.The loaves were baked for about 45 minutes,then coated with the topping and baked for another 20 minutes. I let it "rest " for 10 minutes and sliced, it was a bit on the crumbly side though.But that didn't take away from the taste which to me was a little bland.I tasted it cold the following day, and it seemed to be better. Thanks for taking the time to post this recipe and, " Keep Smiling :) "Reply