photo by Brian Holley
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- Grase 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Place bread in large bowl.
- Add water and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain off extra water.
- Mash bread with fork.
- Add next 7 ingredients (ground beef- pepper) to bread, mixing well.
- Transfer meat mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce over meat loaf and sprinkle with oregano.
- Return to oven and bake 20- 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
a very nice different meatloaf, thanks ! like the idea of the rye bread, it gave quite a different taste; the parmesan a nice little sharpness to it. The loaf stayed together well and was nicely finished with the tomato sauce. It made great lunch sandwiches the next day, will be making this one again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>