Meat Stuffed French Loaves
- Ready In:
- 1 loaf fat long French bread
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, skin removed
- 4 ounces ground turkey or 4 ounces ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the ends of the bread, and carefully hollow out the center portion.
- In a food processor, make soft crumbs out of the bread that was removed from the middle of the loaf.
- Brown the sausage and ground meat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, and continue to cook until soft.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked meat and onion, the bread crumbs, grated cheese, the egg, mustard, parsley, fennel, basil, salt and pepper and pepper to taste.
- With a long handled wooden spoon, stuff the hollowed out French bread with the stuffing mixture.
- Place the ends of the bread back in place and secure with small skewers.
- Melt the butter and stir in the garlic, let cook over low heat for about 1 minute.
- Brush the loaf with the butter/garlic mixture and wrap in a piece of aluminium foil, leaving it open at the top, slightly so the top browns.
- Bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut into 1 inch slices for hors d'oeuvres, or into 4 larger pieces for main course servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I did the same thing as Kim127 (I actually made more meat, so I had to use 6 small loaves)... I froze all of them for my husband to just pull out of the freezer when ever he gets hungry. I put them in the microwave just enough to defrost, then put it in the toaster oven at 350F until golden brown. Way better than "Hot Pockets"! Thanks :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Life often interupts our comfortable routines in very unexpected ways and in the past three years I've certainly faced some challenges. As a health nut who ate mostly vegetarian I was beyond shocked to discover that I was diabetic. <img title=Yell src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /> I shouted and rebelled and cried. But the good news is that I can control my glucose levels simply by eating very low carb. What a complete turn around it was to pass up all my high carb vegetarian foods like grains, and veggies and embrace meat! <img title=Surprised src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-surprised.gif border=0 alt=Surprised /> I've adjusted to this limited diet and thanks to Zaar can eat a nice variety of healthful meals.</p> <p> The next challenge was a freakish fall I took while in New York with my daughter that left me paralyzed and in much pain. I thank God that I am so much better today after more than two years recovery, with total mobility and just some minor pain in my arms and hands. Cooking and communicating here was not really on my priority list. But, I am back in action and ready to cook, take photos, and enjoy this wonderful community of friends.<img title=Laughing src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif border=0 alt=Laughing /></p> <p>My husband and I continue to enjoy our grandchildren and being closely involved with their day to day activities. I am also the proud owner of a sweet grey and white cat who came to my door as a little kitten 6 months ago. Her name is Bonny and you can read her story here: <a href=http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ps/3/g7hopubcqxji7ub0y6fg target=_blank>http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ps/3/g7hopubcqxji7ub0y6fg</a>.</p> <p> When I have time for myself, I love to do all things artistic...drawing, pastels, paper craft, scrapbooking, and most recently jewelry making. I have set up a website on ETSY ( shown on this page by my website)and you can go there and see my creations.<img title=Cool src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/houdini6.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /></p>