Mauritian Prawn Curry
Taken from Nigella Lawson's divine book 'Forever Summer' pg 76.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice and zest required)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon curry leaf
- 750 g prawns, peeled and deveined
- grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 3 -4 green finger chilies
- Measure out the turmeric, coriander, cumun, chilli power and mace into a bowl and grate over the peeled ginger and garlic.
- Add some water to form a paste and then leave to the side.
- Fry the onion gently until it softens.
- Stir in the spicy paste and cook for a minute or so, stirring the whole time.
- Pour in the tomatos and then fill a can with water and add that to the pan as well.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and put the cinnamon stick and curry leaves into the pan.
- Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes so that it can thicken and the herbs can settle.
- Add the prawns to the sauce and let them cook through.
- Serve the dish and garnish with nutmeg, lemon zest, fresh coriander and chillies.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION