Maui Macadamia Nut Rum Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A friend send me this from an old magazine.
- Ready In:
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar macadamia nuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 -4 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (10 inch) baked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- If madadamia nuts are salted, spread on towel and rub to remove as much salt as possible.
- Chop nuts and place in single layer on baking sheet.
- Toast about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, gelatin, cornstarch and salt in blender or food processor.
- Add cream cheese and sour cream.
- Whirl, gradually adding milk, and continue blending or processing until smooth.
- Note: If using a food processor, add part of the milk, process and pour part of the mixture into top of a double boiler, then add remainder of milk and process. This will prevent an overflow from too much liquid.
- Place mixture in top of double boiler and cook over gently boiling water until thick and smooth, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk some of the mixture into egg yolks. Return to pan, whisking as it continues to cook, about 3 minutes.
- Remove top of double boiler and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir rum into filling mixture and fold in egg whites.
- Chill until thickened but not firm.
- Whip cream until stiff and fold into filing along with half of the toasted nuts.
- Pour into prepared crust and chill at least 2 hours.
- Sprint top with remaining nuts just before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION