Mashed Red Skinned Potatoes With Scallions
I came across this recipe in my local newspaper and thought it looked delicious. It is similar to Irish Mashed Potatoes which they call "Champ." That dish is served with half the butter melted and served in a small well on top of the potatoes.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, greens only, cut on the bias
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, salt liberally, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pot heat cream and butter over low heat; do not allow to boil.
- Drain the potatoes, return to the pot and mash with a potato masher (do not over-mash or they will become gluey).
- Continue mashing, adding cream and butter mixture, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Stir in scallions and serve.