Mashed Potatoes With Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onions
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons caramelized onion (Flavored Caramelized Onions or Caramelized Sherried Onions)
- 4 -6 mashed roasted garlic cloves (Roasted Garlic & Pearl Onions With Herbs)
- 1 teaspoon caramelized onion, garnish
- Cover and cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes.
- Mash potatoes in a large mixing bowl until no lumps remain. Better yet rice them.
- Add butter and milk, salt, and pepper mashing in to blend together.
- Mix in onions and garlic.
- Garnish with onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Went to recipe 51649 for the roasted garlic cloves, but it took me to a recipe on how to make caramelized onions. So I did that. Glad I did, because it really made the difference with this. I had to use up some potatoes that were getting old (about 8 potatoes, of various sizes). I used 3/4 cup whole milk, then added 1 cup fat free milk after I had stirred and realized the potatoes were still too thick. It came out perfectly. I added approximately 5 tablespoons of the caramelized onions and used a hand blender to mix it all in. Didn't do roasted garlic cloves, so just added about a tablespoon of garlic powder. Tastes great - thanks!
This Thanksgiving Day, November 23, 2006, my DH and I wanted to create a meal to remember; and with the help of this wonderful "Mashed Potatoes With Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onions" recipe, we certainly succeeded!!! Thank you very much for posting such an easy, unique-tasting mashed potato recipe! It is going to be a staple with us for many years to come!! And yes....this is a Thanksgiving to REMEMBER!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOURS!!! :) Sincerely, KittyCat1225
Wow Rita...I love fresh mashed potatoes BUT add the onions and the garlic....awesome! The combo is pure comfort food! I did the onions and garlic a day ahead then just added them as needed and I also had the milk at room temp so as not to make the potatoes starchy. Served with meatloaf, broccoli and homemade applesauce. Yummy!