Maryland Crab Cakes with Basil Aioli
- Ready In:
- 1 lb crabmeat (preferably Blue crab)
- 1 small minced onion, lightly sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- olive oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix crabmeat, onion, crushed crackers, eggs, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Gently mix everything together and shape into crab cakes.
- Saute cakes in a little oil for about five minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- To prepare aioli, place egg yolks, garlic and basil in a blender.
- Start the blender and slowly add oil.
- When thoroughly mixed and creamy, add salt and lemon juice and if you want it hot and spicy the option red pepper or cayenne.
- Serve the aioli on the side as a dipping sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The crab cakes turned out very nice. I made them late one afternoon after work before going out for dinner. DH and I thought they tasted like something you could order in a restaurant! I must have done something wrong with the aioli because it came out way too oily - even for what I think an aioli should be. I'm not sure what I did wrong, and the crab cakes were great, so 4 stars!