Maryland Caramel Tomatoes
photo by Debbie R.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 8 large tomatoes (choose firm tomatoes ~ cored and peeled (see NOTE below)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick ~ cut into 1/4-inch pieces)
- Note: To peel tomatoes, score an X at each tomato's base. Plunge in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds. Cool in ice water for 1 minute. Use a knife to remove peel, starting at the X on base.
- Adjust oven rack to the upper-middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange tomatoes in a large ovenproof skillet, cored side up.
- Season with salt and peppers, then sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Dot tomatoes evenly with butter.
- Bake until tender and lightly browned, about 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the oven and transfer to the stove top. Cook over medium-low heat, basting every 5 minutes and adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a rapid simmer, until the sauce is thick and syrupy, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!